Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Epidural--my new best friend

Our sweet little Perrin is finally here!! He's cute and healthy and a lot of fun (except when he's screaming in the middle of the night, of course). And I am REALLY happy to not be pregnant anymore.

Unfortunately, I had a really long and tough labor. In a nutshell: contractions HURT! If my labor had progressed quickly, I wouldn't have had to experience much pain before getting my epidural. But that wasn't the case... I had painful contractions for about 50 hours before I finally went into active labor. The contractions weren't causing me to dilate any further, so I had no choice but to suffer through them and pray that I would finally start making progress soon.

When I finally got my epidural around 1:00 AM Saturday morning (Feb 20th), I wanted to jump up and down with joy. (Of course, I couldn't do any jumping since I wasn't able to feel anything from the waist down). It was just such a relief to not feel pain anymore! Trey and I fell asleep and stayed that way for most of the night. The nurse came in and checked me every so often to let me know how far along I was. Then, around 6:30 AM, it was time to start pushing. I'll spare the gory details... but lets just say that poor Trey wasn't quite prepared for what he saw. (I told him not to watch. Did he listen to me? No. So it's not my fault that he nearly passed out).

Anyway, we survived. And Perrin is well worth the 9 months of pregnancy and a long, tough labor. He's snuggled up on Trey's chest right now, sleeping. So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment