Saturday, July 31, 2010

Looking back

With summer in full swing, I've been thinking a lot lately about what last summer was like for me. I was just starting to spread the news that I was pregnant. My jeans were getting tighter, I was throwing up nearly every morning, and February seemed like such a loooong time to wait for the baby to get here. At times, I actually really enjoyed being pregnant... but last summer was NOT one of those times. I remember one morning, I opened the fridge to find some breakfast and I saw a packet of ranch dressing. Then I turned around and hurled in the sink. Because of a stupid packet of ranch dressing! (By the way, I really like ranch dressing. Why it was so gross to me that morning, I'll never know. Pregnancy makes you weird... that's the only explanation).

Well, February came a lot sooner than I was expecting it to, and as much as pregnancy changed my life, nothing has changed my life as much as having a baby and taking care of him day in and day out. And as tough as morning sickness and first-trimester fatigue are, they are nothing compared to caring for an infant. So I have to say that this summer is even tougher than last summer.

It's strange to think about how much my life has changed in a year. But I'm glad it has. Perrin's sitting on my lap trying to help me type, and he's just so cute and sweet! Yeah, he's a lot of work. And sometimes he's cranky and irritating and won't go to sleep. And he poops a lot and spits up on my clothes and sometimes cries for no reason. But he's the best baby in the whole world. I even forgive him for making me throw up so much last year.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on being a mom! The hardest, but best, job ever!

    ReplyDelete