Friday, September 25, 2009

The convenience of kids

Before I got pregnant, I thought a lot about how inconvenient children must be. You love them, sure, but they certainly make life a bit more complex. But recently, I've started realizing all the things kids are incredibly convenient for. One particular example comes to mind:

When Trey and I went on a cruise a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist the temptation to try out all the water slides on the boat, pregnant belly and all. But standing in line behind 4 or 5 six-year-olds made me feel just a wee bit silly. Then I noticed right behind me was a man who looked to be in his late 30s. Sweet! I wasn't the only adult! My triumph was cut short when I realized he was consoling his daughter and assuring her the slide would be fun. "See, I'm right here," he said. "I'll go down with you, and it won't be scary at all!"

So, I have to admit, of the many things I'm looking forward to about starting a family, I'm really looking forward to using our children as an excuse to continue doing all of those things that I apparently have not quite outgrown. Our kids are sure to embarrass me on occasion, right? So I think it's only fair that they save me from some embarrassment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment