Sunday, July 22, 2012

Zumba!

I started going to a zumba class back in December or January, and I really loved it. Then towards the end of February I found out I was pregnant, and within a couple weeks I was puking non-stop and barely had the energy to peel my head off the pillow in the mornings, much less shake my booty for a solid hour. But once I finally got past the morning sickness, I returned to zumba, baby bump and all.

So Brielle and I have been dancing to sexy Latin music a couple times a week for the past couple months. Now that I'm about 6 months pregnant though, I'm definitely realizing that my zumba days are numbered. My belly is getting bigger and I'm a little afraid I'm going to shake her out onto the gym floor if I'm not careful. Plus I can feel my stamina leaking away week by week.

Case in point: Yesterday morning I went to zumba like usual. After about 45 minutes into it, I was huffing and puffing and clutching my belly as I jumped around during a particularly fast song. When the song ended, a girl next to me asked really sweetly, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I wheezed. "It's just a lot of bouncing. It's getting a little tougher for me."

"You're not about to go into labor, are you?"

"No, I'm only about 6 months."

"Okay... well, just take it easy. Be sure to sit down if you need to." She eyed me skeptically, like she thought I might keel over at any minute.

Hmmm. I guess I was looking a little overspent. And I admitted to myself that I probably should take a break--an hour of cardio is a lot for a pregnant woman. But I have this teensy tiny problem... I can be a wee bit competitive. (I know, that's a shocker, right?) And as I looked around the room, I kept thinking, "If all these ladies can make it a full hour without taking a break, I can too!"

But since I truly don't want to go into labor on the gym floor, I'm resolving to take it a little easier from here on out. I just need to swallow my pride and admit that my body needs more rest these days. Speaking of swallowing my pride, I should also admit that being pregnant and doing zumba is probably the dorkiest-looking thing I could do. Actually, that reminds me of a picture Trey found online for me not too long ago:

No comments:

Post a Comment