Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Child birthing 101

Over the weekend, Trey and I went to a child birthing class at the hospital where I'll be delivering. Aside from a rather graphic video that showed an actual c-section procedure (which I certainly could have done without), the class was pretty helpful.

All along, I've been thinking that because I'm having an epidural, I don't need to know any of those silly breathing exercises. But the nurse informed me that I won't get an epidural until I'm about 4-5 cm dilated and well into active labor... meaning I'll get to experience plenty of those painful contractions that I assumed I would get to avoid. So while I'm not jumping up and down at the news, I guess it's good that I know what to expect.

So we spent a good half hour or so learning relaxation and breathing techniques. But I kept getting confused... I never seemed to be able to remember if we were supposed to be breathing like "ha-hee" or "ha-hoo." And Trey, of course, had his own opinions of how I should be breathing, which were slightly comical but not very helpful. But I got back at him later when I decided to use his nose as my focal point. Okay, so we probably did more laughing than breathing, but that's good pain management too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment