Friday, February 4, 2011

Baby signing

I've tried to teach Perrin a little bit of baby sign language on and off--simple concepts like more, finished, bath, diaper, etc. Unfortunately I haven't been very consistent with it, so he really hasn't learned any signs yet. Well, I take that back. He has learned one sign. But it's a sign that I didn't teach him. He's learned how to shake his head "no" at me.

The other day, I was trying to get him to walk to me from the coffee table. I held his hands and said, "Walk to Mommy!" He collapsed into a crying heap on the floor, looked at me, and shook his head as if to say, "Stop trying to make me walk!" Later in the week, I took Perrin up to Trey's work to have lunch with him. As we were getting ready to leave, we stopped and talked to a few of Trey's coworkers. "Can you wave hello?" I asked Perrin. Like a perfect, sweet baby, he grinned and waved. Then as we were leaving I said, "Can you wave goodbye?" He got a mischievous smirk and shook his head no. I guess he'd had enough of waving.

I'm still just marveling over the irony that I have never, ever taught him that shaking his head means no, yet he picked it up faster than anything else. Is that just like a baby, or what? Or should it concern me that my child can already tell me no any time he wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment