Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Is that the same baby I had yesterday?

Everyone who's ever had a baby knows that they grow and change quickly. I've noticed a couple of changes in Perrin in just the last week or so.

First off, Perrin has a tooth coming in. I can feel it barely poking through the surface of his bottom gum. My first reaction was, "Yay! A tooth!" My next reaction, in anticipation of his increased fussiness, was "Oh no, a tooth!" My last reaction was a little more surprising: I felt sad. Never again will he smile up at me with his toothless baby grin. I'm sure his one-tooth smile will be just as cute, but it's kind of sad to realize that we're passing through stages that I'll never get to experience with him again. In some cases, that's a good thing. (So long, sleepless nights. I don't miss you in the least.) But I wonder if I'm really appreciating and enjoying each stage as much as I can, knowing that it'll go by all too quickly.

The other change I've noticed is that he's become much more talkative and is making all kinds of new sounds. He can even say Mama! Okay, it's actually more like mamamamamama. And he's never actually said it to me... only to Trey. But still. Is it too early for me to gloat that his first word was Mama? :)

Just this morning I laid him down on the floor with a frog toy just out of his reach. I said, "You can get it, Perrin! Just stretch out and grab it!" He was babbling away, and I swear it sounded like he said, "I can't get it." I cracked up.

As sad as it may be to see my little baby growing up, it's exciting too. Besides, if he weren't growing and changing, what else would I have to blog about? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment